As in real life sometimes you feel motivated and powerful, but sometimes you have nothing to say. The feeling is the same when you have a blog – sometimes you have so many ideas, but sometimes you are just tired and speechless. No matter what, we’re all gonna be sad at some point of time. I think every blogger goes through this period. You want a break. I love writing, but sometimes writing turns into a duty, not in a pleasure. As you know Marketing for Pros is a recent blog and I’m trying to write at least 1 article in a week. English is not my native language, so writing in English is the another reason to feel stuck!
The reasons why we’rе stuck and ideas how to get unstuck
Many bloggers have a full-time job (LIKE ME! Please, raise your hands to know that I’m not the one). For now I have no desire to quite my job, because I need money. I write my articles after work. But very often I feel tired and I want to relax. To keep a blog it’s not easy thing – you should write articles, create Newsletters once or twice in a month, maintain a presence in social medias, creating infographics, communicate with brands and others bloggers and so many activities! Unfortunately, everyone has 24 hours a day. Many bloggers work lately into the night. Weekends are not just a rest. Often I spent my Saturday nights reading my favourite blogs for Marketing or writing articles for MarketingforPros. I’m a night owl, but maybe some of you are Morning People and wake up early to work on own blogs. Lack of sleep and the fatigue are the most common reasons bloggers feel stuck!
How to get unstuck?
Every problem has a solution! Grab a cup of coffee (or a tea) and just relax. My advice is to work on your own blog, when you FEEL FRESH AND RESTED! Your blog should be your hiding place. Don’t work when you’re tired and overwhelmed, It’s better to stop and take a break.
I’ll give you some ideas how to relax:
- Turn off your mobile phone, TV and other devices;
- Enjoy the silence;
- Take a nap;
- Eat some delicious food (not unhealthy);
- Write down on your thoughts and goals;
- Listening Music – let the music be just a background, not to distract you. I recommend you classic music, Kenny G or jazz;
- Do some sport – I love running. Every Wednesday after work I go to the stadium;
- Reading books;
- Enjoy your hobby.
#2. Too many ideas, too little time
I don’t know about you, but I’m very creative person. Ideas, ideas, ideas, sometimes I feel my head will explode. I start to write an article, but after a few minutes in my mind another idea appears. It’s so confused. The main disadvantage to have many ideas is that I can’t stay focused on my daily routines. And the result is SMASH! So, I’ve decided to transform this disadvantage in my BIG advantage. What I did? I started to listen my inner voice. Some tips if you are Idea Maker like me: 😛
- the new ideas give me a passion – I stopped to ignore them, because “Every idea has its time” – Vicente Fox (a Mexican businessman and politician)
- don’t be against your mind – even if we don’t realise why new ideas appear accidentally for every thing there is a reason.
- don’t let your ideas to sink into the subconscious – I have a notebook where I write it down every idea. Who knows, one day maybe I will realise it. 😛
- there is no bad idea – every idea is valuable and I could use it in right time.
How to get unstuck?
#2. Prioritise your tasks
Quadrant I. Urgent and important – write articles, creating monthly or weekly Newsletter
Quadrant II. Not urgent and important – to clean my home, do some sport, sharing your articles via social medias, create strategies for your blog
Quadrant III. Urgent and not important – approving comments
Quadrant IV. Not urgent and not important (eliminate it) – to go out with people, who don’t like you
#3. You can’t concentrate it
OK, guys I will admit that I have a BIG problem with the concentration. It’s so hard to focus when I write an article. I sit in front of my laptop, open Word file and start. But after a few minutes my attention is to another thing. Sometimes writing an article takes me several weeks. It’s not OK, right? My advice is to give yourself a deadline – set it within one week or one month.
There are many, many reasons why you can’t concentrate it:
- you need more sleep;
- you are bored;
- you have too many duties;
- your desk is cluttered;
- you’re listening Music;
- you’re hungry;
- too much ideas;
- too much work;
- doing something you don’t like.
The main disadvantages are:
- miss a deadline – some bloggers are bloggers for fun, but some of them are bloggers who want to earn money. If you want money you should make schedule for being more consistent.
- lose a client;
- lose a potential client;
- lose trust;
- make NOTHING (sh*ts).
Don’t forget –“If you don’t take your time, it will be taken from you”.
How to get unstuck?
#3. Clear your mind
7:00 AM Wake up
7:30 AM Breakfast and drink coffee
8:00 AM Take a bus
9:00 AM Start your work day
17:00 PM Finish your work day
18:00 PM Sport – running or Pilates
19:00 PM Time for family, friends, books and blog
23:30 PM Go to the bed
This is my simply daily routine. The main mistake I’ve made every day is to spend my free time in social medias. Absolutely useless! It’s useful only when you share your content with others. You get likes, tweets, pins and followers. As you see my work takes too much time, but I need money and for now I don’t want to quit. But one day….
How to clear your mind:
- Enjoy the silence – I think the silence is the best way to good concentration. Very often I write my articles lately into the night. There are no loud, screaming, people, cars and so on.
- Make a plan – ask yourself what is your strategy for your blog – monetising, only for fun, just to share funny story with your friends?! If you have clearer vision for your blog you will being more concentrated.
- Tools for social media management – maintaining social media is also a difficult task and takes time. I recommend you Buffer and HootSuite
- Find comfortable environment – which is your favourite place for writing? I love writing at the beach!
You’re master of your time, don’t waste it!
#4. Don’t have any inspiration
Let’s face it – you work from Monday to Friday, 9:00 AM-17:00 PM and you get stuck in a rut. I’m a Marketing Specialist and I love my job, but sometimes my boss hasn’t clear vision about the company. And this makes me angry! The result is that I don’t have desire to go to the work. As I said inspiration is important part of blogging. If you don’t feel happy and inspired, then you can’t be a blogger.
How to get unstuck?
#4. Get inspired
Try to wake up with positive thinking. Don’t die inside!
“Life is like a work of art, you gotta paint it colorful.”
I will share with you some tips how to be inspired every day:
- go to the concert, Theater, Museum or somewhere you will get inspiration;
- read interesting book;
- try to paint;
- watch TED videos;
- try to look at thing from a different perspective;
- do Sport;
- enjoy your hobby;
- think out of the box.
Writing is art and to write well you have to touch another art.
#5. Don’t have any new ideas for articles
Sounds familiar! Very often I ask myself: “OK, what is the next idea for an article”. Yes, I have many ideas, but some of them are too difficult for writing, because It’s require a lot of research. Sometimes I don’t have enough experience to write about it.
I’ll give you some ideas for articles when you’re stuck:
- take an interview – maybe you know the gurus in your niche. Contact them and ask them politely to give you an interview;
- ask your audience – sometimes ideas come from your audience (clients);
- create a guest write – when I was a student I’ve written so many articles for some blogs.
- reshare your old content again;
- write review for a book or product;
- write a press release for some event in your field;
- publish related news;
- share your story – talk about your success, failure or just give advice to your readers.
How to get unstuck?
Everyone needs a sip of fresh air. Brainstorming is a perfect way to generate new ideas, to write inspirational articles or just to be awesome blogger.
Some steps to successful brainstorming:
- Sources of information – I need admit that I love books. Except them I read a lot of blogs for marketing and advertising.
- Collect information – each one of us often receives e-mails or е-books, I recommend you to use Feedly – platform to accelerate your useful content.
- Use Google suggestion – yep, type your keywords and it will appear some suggestions for blog articles.
4. Use Keyword Research Tools like Google Keyword Planner, SEMrush and etc. to generate new ideas
#7. Lost motivation
You’ve created a blog, build presence in social medias, but yet you don’t reach desired results. How familiar! You don’t have enough likes, tweets, pins! It’s not cool, yeah! And you wonder why? The true is every blogger goes through these difficulties. My advice is don’t give up! Give the best and sooner or later will get the best!
Many reasons why we lost our inner power?
- Don’t see results;
- Don’t have enough time;
- Want fast results;
- Don’t have goals;
- You don’t believe in yourself and your skills.
How to get unstuck?
#7. Be ready for the fight
There are too many bloggers and every one of them is your competitor. In the first months when I started my blog I asked myself “Why I don’t have visitors” “Why my bounce rate is too low”. If you have your own blog you should know about SEO tactics, how to make images for social medias, social media strategies and so on. It’s not easy thing!
- Every night spend about 1 hour reading about marketing and social medias;
- Spy your competitors;
- Set your clear goals.
In summary I want to tell you DON’T GIVE UP! I think blogging is the future!
Thanks for reading!
Share your thoughts and experience in comment below!