Hello dear bloggers,
Blogging is hard work! Maybe you’ve heard this a thousand times, but It’s true! I have been blogging since 2015 and unfortunately my blog is yet “under construction”. It’s so hard to have enough time for writing, keeping the social medias and constantly searching of HOT TOPICS. Furthermore, nobody knows you 😀 Your blog is just one of the rest blogs. There are so many blogs LIKE YOURS and your blog it’s not special. Before I give you ideas how to deal with the biggest struggles, I’ll share with you some advantages and disadvantages of blogging.
The bright side of blogging
To be a blogger is the worst thing in the whole world! No, I’m just joking! To be a blogger is the best thing that you can imagine. You can share with others your point of view or write reviews. If you’re an expert in any field you should definitely have a blog. The main advantages are:
- branding yourself;
- earn money if you monetize your blog;
- work closely with brands;
- collaboration with other bloggers;
- opportunity to become famous;
The dark side of blogging
Many bloggers have so wrong expectations. They think that the results come instantly. I mean blogging is hard work and it takes time! You have to be ambitious and concentrated in order to be a sucessful blogger.
- competition is everywhere;
- invest money – for example to have own blog you have to buy domain and hosting;
- feel under pressure;
- you don’t have enough time for your family and friends;
- no time for rest;
Struggle 1: You have no niche
Imagine you’re shopping – you have a choice to visit the best pastry shop with the best cakes OR you can visit shopping mall with everything. In the shopping mall you probably will be lost and you will be more confused. Things are simillar in the blog sphere – if you are an IT geek you might be follow blogs and websites in these niche in order to know latest technology and innovations. Bloggers might be provide you professional tips or they might be working with the IT companies to launch their IT products. For example, to know what happens in social medias I always check it out – www.socialmediaexaminer.com For me they are one of the best websites about digital marketing and social medias. By the way don’t miss their report!
Solution 1: Finding the right niche
Yeah, maybe this is so hard for every blogger, but first you should to know what are you passionate about? This is the most important question to ask yourself. Everything is passion! If you are a great chef I’m sure you will have a great food blog with lots of recipes and helpful articles. Passion keep you being motivated and will “protect” you from giving up. First of all, blogging should be like a hobby. In the beginning don’t think about monetization or others way to earn money. Why? Because you will lose focus on your blog. Just have fun! 😛 My advice to you is don’t think about statistics in Google Analytics. I mean – don’t analyze your traffic or visitors or something else, because you will be very confused. In the beginning write just for fun, even nobody wants to read your shits. Big deal! Don’t be sad and don’t forget that every sucess comes later. Before you find the right niche you have to find your passion.
- What are your hobbies – think about what you do in your spare time – knitting, reading, and etc.
- Combine your talents – if you’re a great writer and also a movie zombi, why don’t you try to write a movie review.
- Trying new things – don’t be afraid to try something new. For example, a new sport activity, learning a new language, and etc. As a result you could surprise yourself by discovering a new skill. It’s sounds exciting, right!
- Get out of your comfort zone – beat your fear, for instance you can try extreme sport or if you’re a terrible dancer go to disco and dances all night!
- Travelling – if you need to “recharge your battery” travelling is the best options. New places, new culture, new food, I’m sure you will definitely full of energy.
- Follow your curiosity – be a child! Always ask and never give up! Always looking for answers.
- Explore your artistic side – learning a musical instrument, enroll in art classes, acting classes, and etc.
Struggle 2: Nobody reads your blog
Next struggle is that your audience don’t read you. Sounds familiar, right? You’ve spent over 1-2 hours to write your thoughts and in the end nobody reads what you wrote. It’s not cool! You’re going to think that you’re not a good blogger. But this is not true! Actually, every thing in this life takes time! Take a breath! The key is CONSISTENSY! Write like nobody’s reading you! Reveal your soul, reaveal your point of view, and don’t worry that you have only 2 Facebook likes or only 1 sharing in Pinterest! The more you practice, the better you are. Don’t give up!
Solution 2: Think like a reader. Think like Google
Be a reader of your own blog! First of all, think about your content! Your content is your face! If your face isn’t pretty put on makeup! 😛 Make your writing more interesting to read. Some secrets of good writing:
- interesting topics – one of the latest articles in my blog is How to generate ideas for blog posts [A helpful guide for every blogger] Check it out!
- be original;
- appropriate writing style;
- research – to be a leader with your blog you definitely have to read a lot. If you’re a business blogger it might be interesting my article about Top 20 Marketing blogs that you must follow
Next step is to think like a Google! Yep, that’s right!
What does your readers search for? – is the main question that you have to ask yourself. And of course the one answer is Google Analytics. Google Analytics is a powerful tool. If you want to be a successful blogger you have to understand all metrics.
First off, understand Audience —> Demographics – if you’re running a new product or service you should definitely know about age, sex, location of your audience.
Audience —> Behaviour – try to understand the report of New vs. Returning visitors
Acquisition—> Traffic – analyze different traffic sources (search traffic, referral traffic, direct traffic, campaigns)
Don’t forget which is the most relevant social media for your website, for example – through Facebook my website generate the most visits.
And now let’s talk about SE…SEO! 😀 SEO is changing constantly each year, so stay informed with latest Google updates. ALWAYS!
Even you’re the best blogger in the entire world, if you don’t know the basics of SEO, unfortunately your website will be on 2nd, 3th or etc. page in Google! How pity! If you want a successful blog you have to read a lot about SEO. Many bloggers are confused about“How long should my blog post be?” And the answer is “It depends”. It depends on the niche, topic and audience. If you know that your audience is teenagers you probably should write shorter. They hate long posts and don’t want to waste time. Be more focus as a writer. The key of good blog post is to be not too short, not too long. Why? Because some searchers aren’t looking for long content! For example If I need information when Jennifer Aniston was born I dont’need article with more than 2000 words. I need just shorter answer. Of course, experts advised us to don’t underestimate the length of the blog posts. According to them the best post’s length is 2000 words!
Some SEO tips for a successful blog:
- page titles;
- meta description;
- high quality of your content;
- internal linking;
- use H1, H2 and H3 header tags;
- image optimization;
- get links from other websites;
- DO NOT COPY YOUR CONTENT, because you will be banned from Google.
Struggle 3: Don’t earn money
Many bloggers said “Blogging is my hobby, I don’t wanna earn money. I write just for fun.” OK, it’s your right! Unfortunately, even you’re the best writer in the whole world and you adore to do this, one day you just give up! Why? Because you’re getting tired and you’re searching for a new hobby – maybe knitting, gardening, cooking, etc. And your blog will be replace from your new passion. You will forget about blogging when you don’t achieve any success. BUT if your MAIN goal is ONLY to make money, you definitely have to give up from blogging! As I said, don’t forget to have fun while writing.
Solution: Search different ways to monetize your blog
Before to choose the BEST WAY to monetize your blog, try to set clear goals in the beginning in order not to be disappointed.
- set clear rules – for example – 3 months after my start as a blogger I will try to find ways to monetize my blog;
- choose the best way for monetization – paid publications, affiliate marketing, Google AdSense, paid review, sell e-courses, sell eBooks;
- define how much you want to earn per month/per year – if you have a clear goal you will know how hard have to work;
In order to achieve any success you have to choose the best way of monetization. There are different ways to monetize your blog:
- Affiliate marketing – if you have a fitness blog it will be easy to sell fitness equipment. Selling this type of products you can earn small commission. It’s passive income and depends on your readers, but it’s worth to try it! Many bloggers promote Amazon products through Amazon Affiliate Program
- Google AdSense – many bloggers think this is the easiest way to earn money. Actually, they are wrong! Yes, it’s not hard to be approved, but if you don’t have HUGE TRAFFIC, I mean really HUGE, it will be difficult to generate any income.
- sell eBooks – if you are a good writer why don’t you write an eBook? Share your expertise with your audience, use your blog to promote it and maybe it will be a good idea to advertise in Facebook or other social medias.
- sell e-courses – nowadays everyone wants to be successful and e-courses are a good option to learn something new. Yeah, I know there are so many free courses, but if you try to give more than others you definitely succеed.
- sell digital products – you can sell useful videos, resources, printable art (I’m trying to sell printable art in Etsy. Check it out 🙂 )
- sell ad space on your own blog – if you have a successful blog why don’t you sell free ad space on companies who want to advertise. Don’t forget that your content has to be high quality.
- sell products – you can build online store in your blog. If you are a healthy blogger with a lot of articles about healthy lifestyle, you can sell products related with this.
- become a consultant – if you are guru in your field you can sell your knowledge as a consultant. Promote yourself and build your personal brand.
- sponsored posts – sometimes companies are interested in your blog and want to promote their products or services. It’s a good way to earn money.
- accept donations – yeah, many blogs who provide interesting and useful things have option for donation. Why not!
Don’t limit yourself to try ONE WAY for monetization, my advice is to combine different ways. Analyze your audience, think like them and make the best decision.
Struggle 4: Don’t have enough inspiration
Blogging is like a magic! Sometimes appear, sometimes disappear! Sometimes you feel like the best PRO, sometimes you’re just a LOSER with a blog 😀 One of the main reasons why you don’t have enough inspiration are:
- you don’t have skills and knowledge;
- no time for writing and reading.
Solution: Get inspired
In one of my recent article How to generate ideas for blog posts [a helpful guide for every blogger]
I shared with you some creative technics for more inspiration. For example, Brainstorming, Freewriting, Mind Map, Google suggestion, trends in social medias, and etc. Try to be inspired every day:
- learn new things;
- meet new people;
- visit different kind of events;
- read different genres books;
- think out of the box;
- try to look at from a different perspective;
When a man try anything for the first time, his brain is getting unstuck.
Struggle 5: Don’t have enough time
Sounds familiar, right! Work, kids, blog, other engagements… and so little time! Don’t panic I have solution for this 😀
Solution: Better time management
Create a habit. Before you sleep. Before you go to work. After kids go to sleep. My advice to you is to create your own time for your blog. Just for you and your thoughts. Think not only for writing and blog posts, think about your presence in social medias, how to get more traffic, how to monetize your blog, and etc. Don’t think only AS A BLOGGER, think AS AN OWNER OF A SMALL BUSINESS.
Forget about “I don’t have enough time” – no, you have time! You don’t have desire or you just lazy. Even you work on your blog 30 min it will be OK.
Motivate yourself – when I’m too motivated I don’t feel fatigue. My brain is going like a machine.
Deadline – if you have clear deadline, you definitely will be more concentrated and focused on your daily tasks. It took me around 2 years of blogging to set my own deadline. Believe me, it’s hard in the beginning, but then it’s going easy.
Turn off social media notifications while you’re working – Oh, yes! Please, turn off everything!
Think only FOR ONE THING – for example, today I’m gonna think only for presence in social medias, tomorrow I’m gonna think about blog post, and etc. Otherwise, everything in your mind will be CRASH!
I hope this article will help you as a blogger! Don’t give up and move on!
Please, share in comments your personal struggles as a blogger and how to deal with them.